How can a consultant help me?
A Writing Consultant can...
- Become the audience for your paper.
- Help you work out an organizational strategy.
- Help you create and focus a thesis or outline.
- Let you know where you might need more development.
- Help you identify specific grammar patterns.
- Show you how to proofread and edit your paper.
- Suggest research resources and techniques.
- Help you answer your own questions.
What can't a consultant help me with?
A Writing Consultant cannot...
- "Fix" a paper for you at the last minute.
- Work on your paper without you present.
- Work with you on your writing outside of the Writing Center.
- Give you answers to homework questions.
- Give you a thesis to fulfill an assignment.
- Discuss the grade you might receive on your paper.
- Write or edit any aspect of your paper for you.
How do I get an appointment?
Stop by Bldg. 26, Rm. 319i and see us or call 206-878-3710 ext. 4364! We'll help you make an appointment for the time you want. You can have 25 minutes or 50 minutes.
When you arrive, please sign in on our entry computer and let our front desk staff know that you've arrived for your appointment.
What if I have to cancel my appointment?
Come into the Writing Center or call us at (206) 878-3710 ext. 4364 to cancel your appointment.
Can I use the computers in the Writing Center?
Sure, you can work on your writing for up to two hours before, during, or after a consulting session. Our staff will help you log on. As always, sign in at the entry computer station beforehand. But our resources are limited, so printing can only be done by consultants as part of a session.
Why do I have to sign in on the entry computer?
We keep a records for planning and funding purposes. The demand for our services helps ensure that we're here to stay.
Do you offer online consulting?
At this point, we only do online consulting in special cases that we arrange with particular courses or programs. As a general practice, our consulting sessions are on a face-to-face basis, which allows for more dynamic interactions between you and the consultant.
Will the consultant proofread my paper for me?
The consultant will help you assess the paper and plan ways to address the grammar patterns present in the paper, so you'll be more effective at proofreading and correcting your own errors.
What if I need more than 25-minutes?
If your paper is longer than four pages or if you have extensive ideas and questions to discuss, we recommend that you sign up for two slots for a 50-minute session.